Tuesday, March 30, 2021

A Day in the Life [3.22.21]

Well, one of my all-time favorite blog posts to read is "A Day in the Life." I'm not really sure why I love it so much, but it is so intriguing to me. I LOVE learning about other people's lives, routines, marriages, families, homes, etc... So, just incase there's anyone else out there like that...this post is for you haha! 

Before we begin, I should preface...our life has already looked so different in many seasons. And to be honest, I wish I had documented our other seasons' Day in the Life...well, I'm sure it's probably documented on my millions of pictures on my phone (Pierce would probably say, "You aren't kidding...millions!" bahaha), but I don't have a specific place to remember what those sweet days looked like, so I hope this will be fun for us to look back on one day too. Also, this is just one Monday in our world. Some Mondays look different for us because we only have small group every other week and other days look different because I only tutor Monday and Wednesday and oftentimes back to back, we only work out M, W, F, so, you get the idea, but this is what March 22nd, 2021 looked like for us...here we go! 

So...just to keep things real here, this is my second alarm haha...my first one went off and was snoozed before I'm sure I even knew what was happening...haha But we try to be always out of bed by at least 5 because if not, we will definitely be late to our workout. I'm a bit slower in the morning... (And Pierce said, "Amen!" bahaha) I wake up, make the bed, contacts, brush teeth, get ready for our workout, etc meanwhile...Pierce is up and ready and downstairs making lemon water for us and waiting at the door for me before I have time to blink...haha but I will say, he's never usually waiting more than a minute or so, and to my defense, I do have to pack my whole life in a bag because I don't get back to the house until 4pm. (Although, that is normally done the night before...something my mom taught me that I still use to this day...the "launchpad" haha) 

But then we are out the door and on our way to our workout. 
I've already raved about how much we love Camp Gladiator and our trainer Liz, but we really do love our mornings. It starts at 5:30 and an hour later, we are in the car, more awake than ever, feeling accomplished and ready for our mornings/days. We also have a terrible "habit not habit" of going to Starbucks across the street because "we worked so hard" haha! I always get my London Fog, but on days when Starbucks isn't in the picture, I have a little kettle at school where I make my tea before the day starts. 
This is our time to read the Bible, talk about and pray for the day and all that it might hold, and then at 7am....

Pierce drops me off at my school...and the day is off to the races. I always love seeing this as I walk in...a great reminder, promise, and special privilege of working in a Christian school. 

Now, like I said, in other seasons, we had a Y membership, and as crazy as it sounds, we would head to the Y after CG and both get ready for the day and then talk/pray there and go our separate ways for work. (It was a sprint!) But in these days, Pierce is still working from home, so we have the luxury of him dropping me off, and I get ready at school. Now, it's still a sprint, but with a little dry shampoo and my bag with my life in it...by 7:30...
I am ready for the day, tea in hand and classroom opening haha 
My desk with a million to-dos, copies to make, and emails to check, but I have become grateful for this little spot in the world and for the morning that prepares me well to start my day. 
And this is pretty much my day at school...cutting out construction paper to make paper chicks, "lunch" at 10:45am haha, rest time at 2:00pm and about a million hand prints, funny comments, lessons, hugs, and sweet moments in-between. Life as a teacher is a crazy one, but a sweet one, that's for sure. 

Meanwhile...Pierce is working away at home...in our study and on our porch. 

And then at 3:30pm, my man picks me up and it makes me laugh because I truly feel like a student getting picked up at school, but so much better. It's fun that we get to process our day together for a few minutes in-between the crazy. We know this working-from-home life won't last forever for Pierce, but we are soaking it up while it lasts! 

We get home around 4:00, and at 4:15, I start my first session. Some of my sessions are still on Zoom, document camera and all. But really, Pierce is still the real MVP with a home-made decaf tea latte just to help get me through...when I say he's the best, I really do mean it haha Sometimes I have a double-session, but today I finished at 5:15, and Pierce finished up work too. I feel so blessed to get to do what I love in this small business of mine, even on the busiest of days! 

A little afternoon juice to get us through! This is our favorite recipe - celery, cilantro, two apples and ginger. A classic for sure. 

And with barely enough time to drink our juice, we are cooking away for small group. We have anywhere from 6-9 people over every other Monday, so we have a pretty quick turn around to make dinner happen. But tonight was one of Pierce's specialities - chicken tostadas, so we tag-teamed it and by 6:30, we were welcoming our friends. 

We sit outside on our patio, push tables together, have a hodge-podge of chairs, and just enjoy dinner and fellowship with one another. It really is the sweetest time for community, and we are grateful for the blessing of being able to open up our home every other week. 

We dive into the Word...our church is currently reading and studying through Mark. It is such a refreshing and sweet time and reminder, especially at the end of a long Monday. 

After we say goodbye and clean up our kitchen, it's usually around 9...sometimes there is a Chick-fil-A milkshake in our day to "celebrate" making it to the end, but tonight, just Pierce's usual routine of decompressing with some piano playing. (Now, if you followed my Riddick Home page, you may be noticing the piano for the first time! More on that to come later...)

But after all is said and done...this is truly our favorite sight. 

And this is truly my favorite way to end the day. Hot tea and reading...there is nothing better. ❤️

And that's pretty much a wrap for A Day in the Life for the Riddicks...hope you enjoyed reading about our crazy Mondays. We love them even when they are full and busy from start to finish. 

We'll post more soon!! 
Love y'all!
Tab & Pierce

2 comments:

  1. Okay, you are my hero for working out and going straight to work!! Wow!! Enjoy the work at home season - it's a fun one! Plus I now feel inspired to drink more tea... maybe this time it will stick! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Kristen!! Dry shampoo is the only way to go there 😂 And yes!! Hot tea is definitely a favorite around here... Hope it becomes one in the Murphy house too!! ☺️ Love you guys!!

      Delete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!