Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Let's Look - Organizing Closets

Well, today's Let's Look is on organizing closets...


Why do I feel like I've done a million posts on closets already... Probably because I really do prefer and love to live and enjoy a home that is pretty simple and usually tidy, but closets are my downfall... They're just so easy to overlook and so easy to put things that I will "make a decision about that later," and thus, I have closets that all need a little tending to.

We have seven closets in our house, which sounds like a lot to me as I type this. None of them are very big, but they have all at one time or another been "organized" and then usually, months or years later, need to be "organized" again. With a new baby on the way, I have made closet space a huge goal for me this year. I'm sure Pierce is growing tired of my "plans" for all of our closets, but it's been fun putting some of them into practice this January. So needless-to-say, this post has come at a good time because closets are on my mind, but as I'm in the middle of this big house/closet purge and organization, I thought I'd list a few of the things I've learned from all of my closet sagas.. 

1. Decluttering instead of "organizing." 
This is a mistake I've learned the hard way many times over... There have been so many times that I have "organized" our closets, but really, I just refolded everything and made it look a little nicer, while still keeping everything I had once stuffed in there. (Exactly what I did above a year or two ago...minus the things that went into the laundry and then back into this closet...)

This year, I am on my second big donation pick-up as many of these closets have things in them that I have just kept for the sole purpose of keeping instead of really going through what we use and don't use. 

2. Going back through closets. 

Which brings me to number two... I have learned that closets need tending to. Somehow, even despite my best intentions of organizing or cleaning a closet, it will eventually need to be re-looked at, re-decluttered, and re-organized. 
This is one of those closets in our house... 
These two pictures were from maybe two years ago, and I am happy to say that this January it is back to just simply our vacuum and coat closet... But goodness, it is our only downstairs closet and is e-a-s-y for things to get collected in here!! 

3. Elfa shelves. 

I have learned the beauty and magic of Elfa shelves and have really come to love them! 
This was the closet in Jane's room before we made it her nursery, and I just remember thinking so often how the shelves and hanging area didn't feel like the best use of space... 
So fast forward to about a week before Jane's due date, and I convinced Pierce to make a few trips with me to The Container Store to put up these Elfa shelves, and we have loved them so, so much! 
They were SO easy to install, are so customizable and have really served us well for the past two years. I am already itching to put them in the closet in the room next door as we are rearranging this spring! 

4. Kids' closets... 

Which really brings me to kids' closets.... I have thought about making this a part of a whole post by itself, but this is one of the things that I did not feel prepared for after we had Jane. 
I LOVE motherhood and LOVE being a mom and honestly, really did feel prepared in so many ways, but kids' clothes and closets was not one of those areas... 

I remember when she was transitioning to six month clothes, I started realizing that I did not have a system or know what to do with her newborn clothes, 0-3 months clothes, and at the time her recently outgrown 3-6 months clothes, with the thought of 6-9, 9-12, 12-18 and so on not too far off on the horizon. Welcome to my panic with kids' closets...it can get overwhelming quickly. 

I do feel like I finally found a bit of a system that has worked well though for us the past year or so though... I now keep a small basket in her closet now for clothes that I know are outgrown or past the season and as I'm transitioning to the next size or season, I'll usually make a note to go through that basket and keep what I can/what's sentimental for a second, donate or sell. I also have a drawer in her dresser that I keep clothes she does not yet fit into (that maybe have been gifted, given to us or handed down) and that has been a great resource to go through during that next transition too. Even just as simple as having a place for those things really has made a big difference, but if you have any tips or tricks on kids' closets, I'd love to hear!!! I'm still learning so much in this area. 
 
5. Knowing the purpose of the closet...

This one sounds a bit silly, but I have learned that when I figure out and decide what the purpose is for that closet space, it helps keeps it a little more tidy and organized. 

That is really what I am working on this spring. Some are simple - the coat closet, the linen closet, but we currently have a guest room closet that is full of Pierce's amazing music gear and my sewing hobby, a nursery closet that now holds toys, books and games as well as baby things, and three small closets in our room that all merge as a little bit of storage, a lot of bit of clothes, and a whole lot of random. Welcome to my 2024 and Pierce getting tired of my "closet plans." 😂

So this one I will keep you updated on... 
This is what one of closets in our room looked like at one point...bur this was before Jane, before maternity clothes, career shifts, random items needing a home and lots of seasons without decluttering or re-organizing... And now it's a space that I might need to evaluate the purpose of a little and possibly even add some baskets with specific storage etc as we shift and move things around upstairs. 

So, this is where you can find me for the next little while...knee deep in our closets and guest room...trying to keep in mind what I've learned, soak in all the tips and systems I can, and making our home a simple and functional space for our growing family. What are your favorite closet systems, tips and tricks?! I really would love to hear. Thanks for following along and thanks Shay and Erika for the fun blog link-up!

I'll plan on seeing you back here tomorrow!!
XO,
Tab

4 comments:

  1. My biggest tip is just alllll the baskets! In Emilia's closet (and now with baby boys) we have baskets up high that are of clothes that are too big or for the next season. When the season changes, I take the entire bucket down and evaluate if we need those sizes/season/shoes/ etc. For the new baby, I've also been told to get a shoe organizer for the back of his closet door and I've been loving that tip too! For our main closets though I really swear by baskets. We have a basket for hats, gloves, scarves, etc. extra household items (like toilet paper) etc. we know where it's at, it's easy to find and see. I've been really into clear bins lately so it's super quick to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this, Alisha!! I have been trying your tip with baskets I have around our house, and I've been loving having everything sorted out. I love hearing how you do this kids' closets too!!! I'll take any more tips as you come across them ☺️😂

      Delete
  2. I love your Elfa shelving system. That might be in our future! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad!! We love Elfa so much!! I hope it's a blessing to you guys too!! ☺️

      Delete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!