Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Let's Look - Daily Quiet Time and Prayer

Oh, I love this topic so so much and knew I had to jump on board for today's Let's Look! 
Morning Quiet Times are by far some of my favorite times of the day. And definitely a part of the day that has very much changed since having Jane, but one we still love all the same. 
Time in the Word has always been important to me and Pierce. When we first got married, we made it a goal to read through the Bible together that first year. Since then, we've done different studies, together and separate, different scripture memory goals throughout the years, and have gone deeper in certain parts of Scripture, but this year marks our fourth time reading through the Bible together, and we still love it so much. 
Over the years, we've gotten creative with where/what quiet times look like, from our screened in porch to a coffee shop to sitting in the car after our workout before I would teach - they've been here, there and everywhere, but they've always been a consistent part of our morning routines, and my day wouldn't quite look the same without them. 
One of my very favorite studies/commentaries on Scripture is Warren Wiersbe's BE Series. Pierce bought this BE Series on Jeremiah for me while we were dating, and walking through that book of the Bible became such a joy and a delight with this commentary. Wiersbe has such a way of explaining Scripture while making it come to life and applicable all at the same time. Since then, I've done several of his BE Studies, and I always leave feeling so encouraged and filled up and understanding that book of the Bible so much more.
Philippians was such a great one to walk through while Pierce and I were memorizing it throughout the year a few years ago. 
And I loved walking through Ruth and Esther too with a group of girls one summer when I was off teaching. You can't go wrong with any of them, and I can't recommend them enough if you're looking for a resource as you read through a book of the Bible. 
Journaling is also a huge part of my morning quiet times and walk with the Lord. There is just something about getting my thoughts out on paper and writing down my prayers that has always been refreshing for me. I have gone through many different journals, but my current favorite comes from this Etsy Shop. I bought this one right before I had Jane, and I have loved the quality, the paper, the look and feel and am already looking forward to getting my next one soon. 
It's simple and perfect and comes with me just about everywhere, even on vacation!! 
Another great resource that has been such a blessing is this Prayer Journal. I found this beautiful binder on Etsy and made my tabs to match the ACTS prayer model - Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication. Behind Supplication, there are tabs for Daily prayers, and then tabs for each day of the week. 
I have loved having this as a resource to hold prayers for so many things, from daily prayers for Pierce and Jane to weekly prayer requests from friends and neighbors and so many more. It's been a really sweet way to have it all in one place, and I love getting to add pictures, answered prayers, daily thoughts, prayers and even to-do lists that I can pray over before the day starts. Even if it's just a simple three-ring binder, this is definitely a blessing to add to your morning quiet times. 

If you're looking for a book on prayer, one of our very favorites is Paul Miller's A Praying Life. It will encourage you, challenge you and spur you closer to the Lord in prayer, and he gives lots of practical ways to keep track of prayer requests as well. I can't recommend it enough!! 
But goodness it wouldn't feel like a quiet time post without mentioning how different they look with a little one, and how much different I'm sure they'll look like with two littles soon... But it's always been important for me to just have my Bible out and still read it when I can in the mornings even if Jane is around. When she was really little, she'd just be snuggled up while we read...
But then she started looking at her own books next to me... (Also, this ESV Readers Bible is a great one for reading through the Bible - it takes out chapter and section headers and verse numbers, so it feels more like you are reading through a story!)
We would oftentimes try to give her one of her little devotionals or "Jesus books" as she calls them, but it was always a sweet time with her close by if she was awake....
Sometimes it looks like toys on, in and around my Bible while I read... 
But recently she has started going to get her little Bible while we read, and it always melts my heart.
This sweet little one is always quick to pray with us, and always lets us know what we've forgotten to pray for, from toys to neighbors to birds and strawberries...It just makes me smile and what a sweet reminder it is of childlike faith... 
I just still couldn't love morning time more with a little tea and time in the Word. I'm thankful for each day and the blessing of starting it out refreshed and encouraged. 

I'm thankful for these mornings...in all shapes and sizes and throughout the different seasons... Lots of grace and lots of flexibility, but always with a heart to know the Lord more and find my strength in Jesus through the Word and prayer. 
And that's just a little look at our daily quiet times and prayer over here... 

I LOVE hearing about other people's rhythms and favorites, especially when it comes to faith, so I can't wait to hear anything you'd love to share about your quiet times too!! Thanks Shay and Erika for the fun blog link-up this morning, and I pray your time in the Word this morning is so blessed!! 

I'll plan on seeing you back here tomorrow!
Sending lots of love!
XO
Tab

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!