Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Let's Look - Best Traveling Tips

Oh, traveling! What a fun Let's Look today. 

Pierce and I love to travel - it's been a fun part of our story even before we were married. We actually both went on a trip to Israel before we were even dating, and I specifically remember thinking that my friend whose seat was next to Pierce was so lucky because he was so fun to be around! Hahahha fast forward seven years and almost all of my flights now have him next to me, and I love it!! 

When Jane was three months old, we added her to our traveling story, and this little one had her 14th flight this past March! Whew!! We've learned a lot, had some really good flights and some really hard flights, but we have always said that (so far) they've been worth it!! Here's a little look on a few of the tips that came to mind today... 
A few months ago, I wrote a post about traveling with babies with some of the tips and tricks we've learned over the past year. You can read that post here
But here were some that made the list...

1. A great carrier. 
This is just a must in my mind. We were gifted this Ergobaby carrier before Jane was born, and I LOVED it. Especially for traveling! It was so comfortable, Jane loved it, and it was so easy to get on and off. You are also allowed to wear a baby through security, which is so helpful! 

2. A good list. 

Oh, I love a good list. I feel like it's so helpful in packing, making sure you have everything you need, and keeping everything straight in your mind. I mention this podcast episode later, but I loved the way she broke out her list for before, during and after your trip!! 

3. A cozy blanket. 
This was a favorite for us. It kept Jane warm on the flights, but it also smelled like home, and I think that helped her nap and sleep better!! 

4. Flexibility. 
This one is simply just key for any traveling ever, with or without kids, in my mind. It just helps make any trip better if flexibility is your mindset! 

5. And when I asked Pierce if he had any tips or things we've learned traveling with a baby he said, "I still stand by 'stay calm' hahah though I don't always 😂😂😂" So, number five, stay calm... 

This one is harder to actually implement when you have a baby whose crying and a full airplane of people you don't know around you, but it really is such a great tip. The times that we've stayed calm have really gone so much better than the times we've panicked a bit hahaha!

You can see more of that list and a few other tips in that post here! Including our favorite carseat cover when we fly that was a great investment for our trips! 

Passport for Littles:
This is a question I get asked a lot, so I thought it would be a perfect thing to put in this post! We applied for a passport for Jane last year for our trip this past March, and here are a few of our favorite things we learned! 

1. This website has pretty much everything you could ever need when applying. 

2. When we took Jane's picture, I took it myself on my phone with a white wall behind her instead of going somewhere to have it taken. (It was challenging enough for me to just to get her looking/smiling in the general direction haha)
3. Then, this is the key. I used this app to make it the right size for the passport picture. You can export it as a small thumbnail on a 4x6 and print it at Walgreens for just a few cents. This part honestly saves a lot of time and money. (I've done this with mine and Pierce's passports too!)

4. After you have the picture, you just fill out the application, schedule an appointment (we did ours at our local post-office...and usually they are running several weeks out!), and then Pierce and I both had to go with Jane, her completed application, and fee to officially get it sent off! 
Her little passport made it several weeks before our trip, and she now has her first stamp in it too! Hope those little tips help - if you have any questions, I'd love to answer them from our experience too!!

Random Tips:

And to end, here are just a few miscellaneous tips to leave you with today... 

1. Socks if wearing sandals going through security. 

Goodness, I'm still not sure why we are not TSA pre-checked. I think that might be coming soon, but alas, we still have to take our shoes off going through security most times. So if I am ever wearing sandals (which happens a lot because they are my favorite summer shoe), I always pack a pair of socks in my purse or diaper bag to throw on when I take off my sandals to put in the bin. 

I've been doing this for years, but I still laugh thinking back on the first time Pierce saw me do it - his confused look said it all, but he said, "Where did you whip those socks out from?!" Hahaha the best travel tip I can send to all my sandal-loving friends! 

2. These podcast episodes. 

I have really enjoyed Kendra from The Lazy Genius. I read her book in January, and I loved her outlook and take on life and routines and rhythms. I listen to her podcast sometimes, and this one is a fun one for travel and a lot of decisions that come with it! I also really enjoyed this one about returning from a vacation!! So practical and helpful!! 

3. The Companion Pass. 

Oh, the companion pass. We love flying Southwest, and the companion pass is one of our favorite things. Whoever has the "pass" gets a companion to fly free with any ticket they purchase. This is our second time to have it, and we've always gotten it when the Southwest credit card is running a special. They periodically do specials where if you apply for the card and spend a certain amount in a few months, you are gifted the companion pass. It has been a life saver for us with all of our travel! And just makes it a little more fun when we're planning a trip somewhere! 

4. Prayer. 

And I couldn't end this post without probably the biggest tip we would have in traveling... Pierce and I always say a prayer before we travel. Whether a road trip or a plane ride, and really everything in-between. Our faith is important to us, and it just helps us put things in perspective and keep us grounded. I can't remember the last time we took off and didn't say a quick prayer. It just is a part of our traveling routine, and I can't recommend prayer more at anytime, but especially, before and during travel!! 
And there you have it...those are just a few of the traveling tips that I had...I can't wait to hear ANY and ALL that you have to share though!! We are already looking ahead to our next trip soon!! Thanks Shay and Erika for this fun blog link-up! 

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday and here's to making traveling a little more fun!! 

Blessings, 
Tabitha

2 comments:

  1. Yesss! Southwest companion pass! We pay all the things on our SW credit card and then pay it off weekly. Never paying for flights and me usually flying free as the companion! Highly recommend as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I love that you all have it too!!! We do the same thing, and it's such a blessing!!!

      Delete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!