Monday, October 17, 2022

The Riddick Home - Our Updated Living Room

Happy Monday!! Today's a big day!!! After several, several weeks of this living room being under "construction," we finally have this little room mostly put back together. I wish I could open my doors and actually have you in for a cup of tea by the fire, but I thought welcoming you all in via this blog is the next best thing... 

So, I hope you settle in on this cozy Monday morning and enjoy a little update of the Riddick Home!!! 
Before we start... I just have to give Pierce a shoutout here because he started this little dream of mine coming true of removing our popcorn ceilings... I had always talked about trying to take it down, but a few months ago, I realized that it's so much work and we'd kind of gotten used to them the way they were, so I figured I'd hope for no popcorn ceilings in any homes we lived in in the future... 

But Pierce started researching and watching so many drywall videos that one day, he asked if I wanted to go to Lowe's to grab what he needed to start... Well, even with it being my dream and all, change can sometimes be hard for me, so I think I said something along the lines of... "Wait, really? ...what if we might miss them?!" 😂 ... 🤦🏼‍♂️ I'm sure this was actually Pierce hahaha But he promised me we'd love them finished, and BOY was he right!!!

Maybe I should have him to do a whole post on here for anyone thinking of removing them, but let's just say.......it's actually *not* as easy as some of the videos make it out to be hahaha 
...and that is why, for many more weeks than we had anticipated, our living room looked like this... It looked like a crime scene blocked off in our home for quite a while...and after many, many roadblocks, Pierce persevered and finished, and I took the opportunity to change some things around design wise when we were putting everything back... 

So...without further-ado, here are some before and after pics for you of our newly updated Living Room!!! 
This is it before...aww...I still loved that little space... You can read more about it here, but that little ranch door always meant so much to us because it came from Pierce's family Ranch, but...we did a lead test on it recently before Jane started crawling around and it came back that it does have it...whomp, whomp... So, until we can figure out a way to seal it...it's living outside for a bit... 
But, I took the opportunity to change that little corner around, and I love it so much now. I've always wanted some family pictures in our home displayed somewhere, and I love seeing them when you walk in now... 
I'm sure these pictures will get changed out frequently, but even as I was reading in here in the other morning, I loved looking up and seeing these 😍 
Especially this one....sweet girl!!! Hahaha 🥰
Another little angle with our new little reading nook....and, I don't know if you notice, but I finally got around to a big goal of mine...hanging new curtains. The white sheer came with the house, and I learned to love them, but it feels cozy in here now with a little taller and wider regular curtains... 
We're loving them so far...and thank you to Pierce, who sometimes I think has to have more patience when we're hanging curtains than any other time around here hahaha 
This before photo seems a little dark to me...even though looking back, our living room never felt dark living in it...Granted, I think I took this right before he started in the evening that day, but with the the popcorn ceilings and the back doors covered with curtains I had when I lived in Texas, there wasn't too much light coming in... 
But now, the morning light makes all the difference...And it seems to bounce off of the ceilings, which is such a drastic difference! (Also, Pierce helped me hang more curtains over there hahaha)
But really, we absolutely love this little space now. It's cozy and homey and we love reading here in the mornings or cozying up with tea at night... Jane's been loving having her little favorite corner of the sectional back 😂 And I'm sure it will have many more toys and playmats in it in the future, but for right now, we're just soaking up having this little room back in action around here... 
I also got to try my hand at a fun little DIY project that I had seen... 
I grabbed some white oak contact paper off of Amazon...
And recovered our fan blades with it...along with grabbing some new light covers...the verdict is still out on the light covers, but I've been loving the lighter and brighter fan... and for about 1/10 the cost of a new fan haha 
And there you have it...just a little peek into our new little living room... 

Thanks for following along in this ceiling journey of ours, and thanks especially to Pierce for sticking it out till the end!!! ...now, just on to the other rooms at some point 😉😂 

Hope you are cozied up somewhere special in your home this morning and enjoying this fall morning!!!

I'll see you back here tomorrow!!
❤️Tab

6 comments:

  1. great idea for the fan. what about edison bulbs for the fan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen!! Oh that's such a fun idea!! I'll have to look into those!!! Thanks for the suggestion :)

      Delete
  2. I love the new fan! It makes the house look even more farmhouse-y. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, Kerry!! It was a fun little DIY project that was small, but feels like it made a big difference!! Thanks for your encouragement!!

      Delete
  3. It looks so good! It's crazy how much little changes can make such a big difference - like curtains!!

    Also, CONGRATS on finishing the ceiling!! We bought my childhood home at the beginning of the year and none of the house has popcorn ceilings except for the entire upstairs floor (3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms) and I told myself before we moved in, we would get all the popcorn taken down and the ceilings painted..... we did one closet and I said HECK NO I'm done. it's not that big of a deal LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Alisha!! I know - I was thinking the same thing!! Curtains always surprise me by how much of a big difference they make.

      And hahaha we can TOTALLY relate to that!!! We asked ourselves so many times why we started in the LIVING ROOM hahahaha I think if it had been the closet, we might have been in the same boat 😂 So fun that you guys can relate!! (And also love that you guys bought your childhood home! How neat!!!)

      Delete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!