Thursday, July 8, 2021

The Riddick Home - Our Living Room

One of the biggest questions I get from friends and family is, "Tab, what happened to your Riddick Home Instagram?!" I mean...I never imagined so many people would know and come to love that little space. I started it simply because we had just moved in and I LOVED putting our house together. I had just interned for a staging company that past summer and truly found so much joy in arranging and rearranging and painting and creating, and I wanted to remember that season of our life and the beginning stages of our home. And honestly, two and a half years later, I still find so much joy in making our house a home. There have been many times where I've thought about restarting that little Instagram page, and maybe I still will one day, especially knowing it was so loved by so many. But for now, I thought it could be fun to do a few posts of our home on here. 

I hope you enjoy this little living room tour! I tried to include the story behind a few of the pieces because that is always a fun part of putting a house together to me! Without further-ado, welcome to the Riddick Home!
I figured I should probably start with the story behind this sectional in our living room... That first spring and summer we were married, I spent my free-time shopping a few antique/thrift stores for pieces of furniture that I could redo and sell. It was basically my full-time job besides tutoring, and Pierce was in grad-school every night so I had plenty of time to sand and paint and stage and post on Marketplace. 

It was seriously such a fun hobby for me. And one day, Pierce was with me in one of our favorite Nashville thrift stores when we came across this sectional in two pieces, cushions everywhere, but it was labeled 50% off. I knew it was a good piece, especially when I discovered it was Havertys and immediately told Pierce we could probably make such a great profit, depending on how much it was!!

We looked for a tag and could hardly believe our eyes when we saw $50...we thought it must be labeled wrong, but sure enough, the whole thing was $50 plus 50% off. I was so thrilled and giddy, knowing it was in good condition. Pierce helped me buy it and bring it home in two trips in his truck...
...and once we had it in our living room, I knew I couldn't part with it. I made a deal to sell our other two couches and two and a half years later...it's one of our favorite finds! We are so thankful to the Lord for the blessing of this couch, and we pray it is used to welcome others in for His glory! 
The coffee table was also a find at that same thrift store... and the window above the mantel I got the summer before my sophomore year of college...it has seen many different spaces. ❤️ 
And our piano...this little guy we found on Facebook Marketplace, and I was so excited for the potential of having a piano for Pierce. My parents surprised him with buying it for him for Christmas, but it was from a home in Kentucky so we weren't sure how we would get it home. 
A few months later, when Pierce was in South America for a study abroad trip over his birthday, we hired a moving company and they delivered and set it up one afternoon, all without Pierce knowing. I was so excited to welcome him home with a new surprise in the corner of our living room. ☺️ I don't think a day has gone by that he hasn't played it, and we are so thankful for the fun new addition to our home!
Our entry way table was a special find at an Antique Mall here in Nashville. Pierce had taken me on a date there when I had just moved to Nashville, and I loved it immediately...but decided to take a picture of it and think about it for a few days before I bought it. 
I looked at this picture enough times that a few days later...
We went back and Pierce helped me bring it to my little house I was renting with a friend. 
And we've loved it ever since!
This little door also holds a special memory for us, as I found it in a little old house on Pierce's family Ranch. It was one of the first places I wanted to go when I was visiting one time, and we found two old doors and few kitchen cabinet doors (one is above our piano now). 
We were able to save them all, and Pierce helped me bring them back one time that we drove his truck to the Ranch. 
And when we were getting married, we used the doors for the walkway when Dad and I were walking down the aisle. They are so special to us and hold such special memories now! (The other is in our study, which I'll post soon!)
And one of the last little pieces...our "TV stand." I think I've mentioned on here before that we didn't have a TV the first year of marriage, and we just haven't gotten one since. We watch sports and an occasional movie on our laptop, but we just don't miss having a TV in our living room. But this little stand, my dad helped me build when I lived in my first apartment in Plano, TX. It's so special to us, so we love having it in our living room still!
Dad of the year! Haha πŸ”¨ 🧰πŸͺ›
Well, that about does it for our little living room tour... If you were in our home, I'd love to sit on this cozy couch and drink a cup of tea with you. But until then, I hope you felt like you were at home through these pictures. 

One of my biggest joys is when friends text me about their own spaces, with questions, ideas, great finds, pictures and joys in making their house their home, so it would be a delight to hear, as always! 

I'll post more soon about our Riddick Home!
Love y'all!
Tab 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!