Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Let's Look...Bathroom Organization.

Well, this post is a little vulnerable for me...

When I decided to blog throughout the month of July, I told myself I would try all of the blog "link-ups" I like to follow. And on the the second Wednesday of the month, Shay and Erika, who have blogs that I love to read, do a "Let's Look..." post. I have loved looking at people's Christmas Cards, bedside tables, coffee bars, etc. But when I saw July........I have to admit that I was a tad nervous... "Bathroom Organization..." 

I kind of consider myself a semi-organized person...except for when it comes to cabinets, drawers, closets, and small things where I can put/hide things πŸ˜‚ Thank you, Mom, for teaching me this valuable skill bahahaha it is great for when you have company coming over, but not so great when you have a blog to write on bathroom organization...haha But these bathroom cabinets have been on my "to-do list" for far too long, so I took the opportunity to get something done that needed to be done. Every time Pierce would open one of these cabinets, I would hold my breath and look the other direction because I knew he was just as frustrated as I was as things would fall out 🀦🏼‍♀️πŸ˜‚  

Give me a can of paint, a blank wall to decorate or an empty bookshelf, and I'm all about it. But give me a cabinet that has way too many random miscellaneous items in it, and I kind of crumble....
This is a picture of me crumbling when Pierce came around the corner the other day in our living room πŸ˜‚...

So, in order to keep me sane, this blog will be a bit of fixer-upper mixed with a little organization. When we moved in, our master bathroom was light and dark blue and I had about two weeks before our wedding and before Pierce moved in, so naturally, I thought that should move precisely to the top of my to-do list. Looking back, I was crazy. And in way over my head. But I semi-finished the bathroom before our wedding and pretty much just stuffed everything back in the cabinets as I finished painting and really, have never looked back. So, this was long overdo. 
This is a before picture of the bathroom...and you will notice throughout the progression of the pictures that all of those items on the counter disappear by the end...hahaha
Me about eight days before our wedding....like I said, I was crazy haha 
Crazy...but determined haha 
So this is a picture I took after I "finished" painting (there are still touch-ups that almost three years later, I still haven't gone back to haha) and awww it looks so organized right?! Haha πŸ˜‚ But all of that stuff that was on the counter plus all of Pierce's stuff and pretty much anything that I didn't know where to put got stuffed underneath... so that, plus all of the stuff accumulated within three years, and this is what we were working with... 
Like I said, stuffed....and what is even in there?! I am thankful those random plastic bags cover most of the stuff in the back haha 

So I took some time yesterday afternoon and devoted a few hours to sifting through and throwing away, getting rid of and condensing to things I, one, actually knew what they were, but two, knew that we did/would use them at some point. 

I don't consider myself to be a professional organizer....my sister-in-law, on the other hand, truly is, and if she did not live in California, I would have called her to come help haha but after a little bit of time... 
I could at least see the bottom of the cabinet!! 
And I couldn't find the right baskets in the house, so don't mind the shoe box (right) and lid to the shoe box (left)πŸ˜‚...but I would say it feels a little better and able to breathe a little easier when we open them up. Pierce's jaw about hit the floor when he saw it haha We like to keep a few extra things on hand and I tried to put those in the right "shoe-box" - contact solution, toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, contacts, etc. And then the rest is not perfect by any means, but let me tell you, it does feel better. 

We made a goal this year to kind of simplify things around here, especially things we don't need/use, and I can do that pretty easily on our bookshelves, walls, counters, etc but it feels good to start making a small dent in places that not everyone sees. 

The rest of the bathroom are our three drawers, which holds most of the things we use everyday...
The top is mainly my drawer.....hair brushes, lotion, toothpaste, etc.
Then the middle is Pierce's...pretty simple! Haha he keeps most things in his dopp kit...
And this is the bottom drawer...I usually keep all of my make-up in my travel bag, and I'm not sure when that started...but it does make it easier when we go on a spur-of-the-moment trip or when I'm getting ready at school during the school year. 
And then we have a little tray in the bathroom with picture of our dating years haha and a little glass jar with q-tips...
And then to finish us off...in our guest room, we have a little basket of all the essentials in case anyone needs anything or forgets anything...this has come in handy more times than you know. It's a fun little bathroom organization addition. 

And well, that about wraps it up over here at the Riddick house. Thanks for following along in this hilarious post of stepping way outside of my comfort zone...haha Hope you felt at home and PLEASE, I would love to know your tips on organization...especially little cabinets. Anything will help haha 

Be back here tomorrow! 
Love y'all!
Tab

4 comments:

  1. Even if it was ill-timed you did a great job redoing the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Joanne!! I was very thankful for the finished project, even if it was a bit crazy in the meantime haha Thanks for your sweet encouragement!!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, bathroom organization is HARD. I spent some time on this because our new bathroom has no drawers, just under the sink cabinets so I knew I needed some help with all my toiletries! I ended up wandering Target for an hour or so, tracking items I was interested in on their app (this is honestly so helpful) and then went back home to measure everything and see what would work best. I ended up getting a set of three stacking drawers which holds everything I need to use on a daily basis and really love it ($35). They also have some really good finds in their $5 section and their college section, like little drawer organizer bins (3 for $3!). I love using those to keep things from rolling around in drawers, especially little bottles or hair ties, etc. Dollar Store has some good options like that too! But props to you for doing the hard work of tackling this stuff!! It's so easy to ignore it haha but feels way better when you finally figure it out. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww how am I just now seeing this?! Ok, Kristen, these tips are amazing!!! I need to go to Target now, obviously!! Wow, I want to see a picture of your bathroom! I'm sure it is amazing with all of those organizers. And I love the Target app trick. You need to come to Nashville for a weekend and help me! I am also trying to tackle our pantry...I'm sure you have some good tips there too!! Haha thanks for all of your insight! I loved reading this πŸ₯° I'll keep you updated on any changes for the better!! Haha :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!