Tuesday, February 20, 2024

10 Things I Love About Motherhood

Around this time last year, I posted ten things I love about motherhood, and in honor of Valentine's Day and the sweet month of February, I thought it would be fun to do a follow-up post in this season. 

So in no particular order, here are just ten things I love about motherhood and am thankful to the Lord for! 

1. I love having a little friend with me throughout the day. 

Pierce laughs at this and says it confirms my love for getting energy from close friends and family, but I love having Jane around throughout the day. Whether I'm running errands or doing laundry, making bread or going on a walk, it's just really sweet to have a little helper and friend along with me! 

2. I love teaching her things, little and big. 

I think it's the teacher in me, but I love watching her learn, and I love finding fun ways to teach little and big things. Whether it's the letter J or how to fold her hands to pray, she is just a little sponge and getting to teach her is such a gift. 

3. I love watching her grow. 

This one is bittersweet, but it is truly amazing to watch a little one grow. I've always been able to see the growth that happens in a school year in so many little ones, but almost two years in, it is truly incredible sometimes to think about all that happens in such a short amount of time, and it is never less than amazing to me. 

4. I love filling our home with "good things."

I heard this one time on a podcast, and I just loved the mindset and thought and heart behind it. Taking care of a home is filling it with things that you and your family love, with "good things," even something as simple as strawberries in the fridge, clean sheets on the bed or a swept floor. It makes stewarding our home and family a joy knowing I get to bless them with those little (and big) things. 

5. I love finding the best things/routines/rhythms that serve our family well. 

This has been a big one for me the past two years. Before I had Jane, Pierce and I both worked full-time and our day-to-day life and rhythms looked much different than they do now. It was one of the things I wasn't fully prepared for when I first stayed home with Jane - I underestimated how many things in our lives and home really needed a good system, routine, or rhythm to really function well for us, and it's definitely been a journey, but a fun one that I've enjoyed trying to find the best ways to serve us well. (The Lazy Genius podcast has been such a fun addition to my mindset in so many of these things!) 

6. I love being outside together. 

This has always been a favorite of mine, but with a little one, I feel like my time outside has definitely increased. Whether just a quick neighborhood walk or a morning at the park, I cannot ever seem to get enough fresh air and sunshine. Even in the cold and dreary days, getting outside can be so refreshing, for all three of us, but especially on my days home with Jane. 

7. I love reading books. 

When I was in education school, I had an assignment one semester to read 100 children books (with a little written review on each) and 15 children novels (with a synopsis and review.) I remember sitting in the children's section of the library picking out many books that semester and even reading a few of the novels late into the night. Well, fast forward 10 years, and I'm back in the children's section of the library but this time with a little one who is picking out books that she wants to read, and it always makes me smile. Anytime Jane brings me a book, I really try to make time to set aside my "to-do list" and read a little bit with her. I love seeing her little mind and self come to love reading so much as we do. 

8. I love watching Pierce be a dad. 

When I married Pierce, I knew he would be a good dad, but it really has been something I've loved about becoming a mom. She loves when he comes home from work, when he runs around the house chasing her, or simply when he takes her on a quick grocery store run. It's definitely a blessing that I don't take for granted and am so thankful for the Lord for. 

9. I love how sanctifying it can be. 

On some days, throughout the hard, I love to remind myself of lessons the Lord is teaching me. Ways that I see myself in Jane and in her needs, wants and desires. It truly is humbling and sanctifying and always points me back to the fact that we have such a perfect Heavenly Father who loves us in such a deep and personal way. It brings me to my knees in many ways, praying that we can model and demonstrate that love to Jane, even on the toughest of days. 

10. I love that it's deepened my prayer life. 

In many, many ways, motherhood has brought me closer to the Lord, but especially in prayer. Whether praying for Jane, for my own capabilities and energy as a mom, whether for Pierce and me in our parenting, or in a specific situation we're walking through, it makes me thankful we can come to him in prayer. I've spent many hours in prayer the past two years, not only for our own family, but also for many other moms and babies and families and for many, many dear friends who are longing to be moms as well. Prayer has become an outlet for me during this time and a way to give so many things over to the Lord that are outside of my control. It's always a good reminder to me that it really can be as simple as a little child coming to her father to ask for something, as we come to Him and tell him what's on our heart. What a joy and delight it is for Him, but what a profound lesson it has been for me. 
And those are just 10 little things I love about motherhood. There are so many hard days, but so many sweet days, and about a million moments in-between that I'm really trying my best to slow down and be present for. To thank the Lord for exactly where he has me right now. It's easy to look ahead and it's really easy for me to reminisce about the past, but this sweet journey has been one that I've loved trying to live truly in the moment and in the place the Lord has called me for right now. And loving on sweet Jane in the midst of that is one of the biggest blessings I've known. 
Thank you to so many of you who have followed along and for all of your encouragement, wisdom and love you've shown over the past two years as well. I'm sure as we welcome this second, I will continue to learn so much, and I'm thankful for so many friends to journey along with! And thanks also for allowing me to pray for you too. It always makes my day to get an email or comment or message, and it will always be an honor to pray if you ever need specific prayer as well!! 
Here's to a sweet season and for all that the Lord is teaching in this one, in ones past, and in the ones to come!! 
Thanks for following along! It really is a blessing to me!! I'll plan to see you back here tomorrow!!  And as always and in all of these seasons, here's to enjoying the little things, celebrating the big things, and soaking in all the moments in-between!! 
Sending lots of love! 
XO 
Tab

2 comments:

  1. Motherhood is the GREATEST blessing! What sweet reminders this morning 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it truly, truly is! 🥰 I'm sure you could add so many more now with both your littles ☺️💕 Thanks for reading!!!

      Delete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!