Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Tidbits About the Riddicks - Our Hobbies

Happy Tuesday!!! I hope you guys are doing well and having a good start to your week!! We had our small group over last night and just love filling our home (and patio) with sweet community and time in the Word. 
Today I thought I'd do another edition of Tidbits About the Riddicks... If you missed the first post, you can find it here - just a few little tidbits about this and that. But today, it's featuring "Our Hobbies." I thought I'd leave out the laundry, dishes, diapers, and cleaning that are obviously our main "hobbies" these days 😂 and let you know what we like to do for fun when we have the time!! 

So here are we go....
1. Sailing. 
Honestly, this one probably does not deserve the number one spot, but maybe we can say a "dream hobby" that we've done a time or two. There's a lake in Nashville that offers free sailing lessons every Tuesday evening, and Pierce went in college and then when I moved here, we went together and loved every minute. 
He was much more of a natural....as you can tell...I should sell this to J Crew or something hahaha But we love it. Pierce always said a dream of his was to learn how to sail....so maybe one day that will be more of our life. 

2. Snowboarding
Again, probably doesn't deserve the number two spot, but it is something we love. Pierce especially. He can zip down a mountain like he does it for a living....And me, well, let's just say we have this picture because this is where I ended up a time or two going down the mountain...lots of breaks 😉 But I can usually make it down... 
But it's something fun that we love doing together, and I'm sure Jane will be flying past me in no time hahaha 

3. Music. 
Here we are at an actual hobby that Pierce loves so much. 
There was a point in time when we had a whole room upstairs devoted to making music (mixed in with some of my sewing 😂) But Pierce graciously gave up this little room when Jane came along so that we could have a nursery and a guest room...
But he's amazing, at not only playing, but also recording and putting together other people's music... 
WAY back in the day, I even saw him perform in a show or two, which was SUCH a different life than we are living now hahaha but he's amazing, and I love watching him play...whether on stage... 
Or simply in our home...and now, he's doing it with Jane on his lap haha I'm sure this will be a hobby for many decades to come... 

4. Sewing
I grew up watching my mom be the amazing seamstress she is and on Christmas, she gifted me with a sewing machine. I love that little machine so much, and a few weeks before our wedding, I started thinking about what I should gift her on that day...the only thing I could think of was a quilt...so with my stuff half moved into our new house, I went to Hobby Lobby, picked out fabric, and found a small quilt pattern online and went to work...Pierce snapped this late one night when he came over 😂 #hardatwork hahaha
Even though I only had a few days, that little quilt came together...
And with a hand-written and stitched little note on the back, it was such a sweet little gift to give her that day...
I've also made our little stick horses every year for the school's Junior Kindergarten Hoedown 🐴
Such a fun little tradition, and I loved making these little guys...so honored to be able to make them again this year even though I'm home with Jane!!
And I'm still using this little machine today too...
If you missed the how-to on these little burp cloths, you can find it here
I hope sewing and creating will always be a part of our little world! 

5. Cooking
Pierce said he doesn't even view this one as a hobby, but it's something he loves. And he is honestly, really good at it. His creative mind can put flavors and spices together in ways that I *literally* would never even think to do hahaha I've told him before that I need to start sharing some of his recipes on here...I'll do all the hard work of posting, he just has to make them haha We'll keep you updated and hopefully I can start sharing some of the yumminess soon!!

6. Redoing Furniture/Decorating/Design
This is a fun one for me...I love redoing furniture, finding new ways to decorate and rearrange, and when we were first married, I used to find pieces at different thrift stores around time, sand or paint them, and then stage and sell them for a little extra income...
Pierce was in grad school four nights a week...so I often made our living room a little workshop...
And it became a fun little hobby for me...
We still have several of the pieces I found and then decided to keep...
Including this little table and the bench that I turned into our piano bench... Just fun little design projects that I still love to work on...I hope I'll always remember my love for redoing/creating even when my time is spent a lot of other places mainly these days...

7. Working on Cars
This hobby was a fun one for Pierce to discover, but he started changing the oil in our cars, and then realized that he actually loved figuring out how engines and parts worked...
Then we found out his grandpa owned a NAPA and it all started making sense...haha

8. Tennis. 
And last, but not least, we both love playing tennis, especially at the park on beautiful days. This is a throwback to several years ago, but it's something that we still love to do. We have even been throwing our rackets in the bottom of the stroller when we go to the park with Jane, so we can hit a few balls if there are open courts. 🎾 We joke that maybe we should join a co-ed team one of these days...since we have so much time on our hands, ya know hahaha And even though I played in high school, he can still give me a run for my money on the court. Why is no one surprised by this?! 😂

And a bonus one...
Tea and reading....does this count as a hobby?! 
Hahaha this is usually where you can find us... And something that we really love, as simple as it may be...

And there you have it...just a look into a few of our hobbies around here. What do you love to do?! What should we add to the list?! 

Thanks for reading and following along!! Hope you have a great rest of your Tuesday!! 
See you back here tomorrow!
❤️Tab

4 comments:

  1. Your blog has quickly turned in to one of my very favorites. Your writing style is so good and easy to read. I love reading about the simplicity of your daily lives. I love that you find joy in the every day. We should all do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww oh my goodness, thank you so much. That encouragement means the world ❤️ Thanks for reading and for following along!! And here's to finding joy in the little things :) This made my day!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. You guys are so talented and so interesting with all of your various hobbies! I'm absolutely loving your furniture too! I need your confidence and knowledge with sewing...my mom got me a sewing machine a few years ago (she sews a lot too!) and I have been very hesitant with the few projects I've started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Jennifer!! And so fun that you have a sewing machine too!!! I bet you're amazing, and honestly, that's always the hardest part - just getting started!! Can't wait to share more projects that we're both working on soon!! It's always fun to get more inspiration! ❤️

      Delete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for following along in this little journey of ours!